Skip to main content Help with accessibility Skip to main navigation

Support for clinically extremely vulnerable people

We know that this is a very difficult time, especially for people who are at higher risk. We recommend that you plan the support you may need, so that you can follow the advice to stay at home as much as possible. It will help if you can keep in touch with friends and family via phone or video calls. Although you are advised not to go to shops and pharmacies if you can go outside for fresh air and exercise safely you are encouraged to do so.

If you do need additional support, there is still lots on offer to help you with the essentials, or a listening ear.

Here are some important things you need to know:

  • The NHS is open
    GP practices remain open and accessible. Please continue attending your routine appointments and accessing NHS services for the care and treatment you need.
  • Don’t forget your free flu jab
    If you haven’t already, please get your free flu jab. You can access this via your GP surgery.
  • You can get help accessing the things you need
    Wirral InfoBank is a directory of local care and support services, community resources, activities, and information. Visit for help with managing your money, accessing social supermarkets or welfare support, religious services, and much more.
  • An NHS Volunteer Responder could help you to access food, medicines, or essentials. You can register for this service by calling 0808 196 3646. They can also help with other practical, emotional, and social support.
  • Register with the National Shielding Support Service
    The National Shielding Support Service can be accessed online to register for a priority supermarket delivery slot (if you don’t already have access to one) and/or to register support needs if shielding is re-introduced in the future.
  • Social Prescribing Link Workers  Available to provide practical, emotional, and social support via your GP surgery. Please contact your surgery and ask to speak to your Link Worker.
  • You are advised to work from home if you can, and if you are not able to, you are advised not to go into work.
  • Clinically extremely vulnerable children are advised not to go to school or college. Your child’s school will help you to plan for their education to continue at home.

Please do contact Wirral Council’s Coronavirus Helpline on 0151 666 5050 if you need to discuss any aspect of your support.

Download details of local support organisations for Wirral