Wirral Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) commits to continue to improve health and reduce disease by working with patients, public and partners, tackling health inequalities and helping people to take care of themselves.
Every GP practice on Wirral is a member of the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
What is Clinical Commissioning?
Clinical commissioning is the term we use to describe how an organisation (the commissioner) first identifies the health needs of a population and then sets about a process to appoint other organisations (providers) to supply services to meet these needs. We have a duty to ensure that the services we commission are high quality, safe, local and accessible and also good value for money. The types of service we commission include:
- Most local hospital care, for example, A&E, Outpatients, Tests and Operations
- Most mental health care including both GP based services and hospital-based services
- Most community services for example district nurses, matrons and physiotherapy
We do not commission all health services. In these cases NHS England has the responsibility:
- GPs, Dentists, Opticians & Pharmacists
- Specialist Services, for example, cardiac & neurosurgery or transplant surgery.
Who we are
Thank you for visiting the website of Wirral Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). We came into existence as part of the reorganisation of NHS structures undertaken in response to the Health & Social Care Act 2012. Under the new legislation, we are responsible for commissioning health services for the residents of Wirral. In doing this we:
- Seek to continuously improve services and reduce inequalities
- Work with patients, carers and the public when making decisions
- Partner with other health and social care bodies in planning and delivery
- Perform our duties efficiently and manage our resources effectively
- promote the values of the NHS and protect its future
We became authorised as a clinical commissioning group in March of 2013 and formally assumed this responsibility from April 2013.
Our pledge to you
Our pledge to the people of Wirral is that our CCG will be:
- Close to patients, carers and the public
- Led by clinicians to develop and maintain high-quality value for money services
- Committed to improving health and reducing inequality
- A partner with other health and social care organisations
Please explore the rest of our website where you can learn more about the members of our team, the activities we are involved in and also how you can get involved in clinical commissioning.
A copy of the CCG structure is also available.
A copy of our CCG Constitution is available to download below: